Enjoy a culinary tour de force without leaving Oakland! Sample the vast cultural diversity of the Grand Lake area, an urban mecca for global cuisine. Centered around the historic Grand Lake Theater, the area is known for its rich and eclectic influences and population. Our two-hour guided tour will include a walk around beautiful Lake Merritt as well as a trip around the world with samplings of some of the area’s best global dining.
Our Grand Lake Cultural Cuisine Tour is perfect for anyone who thinks they know “Oakland,” and contains hidden gems that may surprise even the most loyal local. Enjoy an opportunity to get off the beaten path while we explore the relaxed global vibe and culinary treats of the Grand Lake area.
- Visit four tasting locations with food tastings, including two sit-down dining spots, and demonstrations to highlight the area’s local ethnic diversity.
- Experience the best of both sides of Oakland—beautiful Lake Merritt as well as its urban center.
- Enjoy an Exclusive Tasting Guide with map and discounted offerings from our tasting locations.
- DEPARTURE TIMES: Saturdays at 3 pm
- DURATION & DISTANCE: 2 hours covering nearly 1 mile
- “Progressive Eating” experience – Come with an appetite! Local selections offer enough to keep you satisfied, but not stuffed.
- SALES DEADLINE: Tickets must be purchased at least three hours before the day’s tour
- WHO: Everyone! (kids welcome!)
- CAPACITY: up to 12 guests per tour
- WHAT TO WEAR/BRING: Comfortable clothing and shoes; bottle of water
- WEATHER CONDITIONS: Light Rain or Shine (Tours may be cancelled 24 hours in advance for heavy rain/weather)
- MEETING POINT: Outside the west entrance of the Oakland Public Library Lakeview Branch – 550 El Embarcadero, Oakland, CA, 94610
- Savor locally-sourced Italian comfort food from a favorite neighborhood kitchen right on the banks of beautiful Lake Merritt.
- Taste the hand-prepared spices, blends and artisan seasonings from one of world’s best spice shops according to Food & Wine Magazine.
- Take a tour of China with a sampling of dumplings and Asian dishes from one of Grand Lake’s newest restaurants.
- Let your taste buds dance with a traditional Parisian fluffy pastry from Oakland’s newest French patisserie.
*Want to add some additional “spirit” to your tour? Select the VIP Adventurer option for only $15:
- – Southern Italian white wine part of the James Beard winning Best Wine Program of North America
- – Specialty margarita made with Sabe Blanco, a unique blend of blanco tequila from Mexico and premium sake from Japan
- – Local Food Adventures tote bag perfect for carrying the amazing eats you discover along the way
By selecting our VIP Adventurer option you swear and affirm that you are over the age of 21.